Monday, January 19, 2015

Music for creating worlds...

Music has a way of opening your brain.



For me, the B-52's, Rock lobster, transports me to a sunny bedroom in Kentucky, it's the early 80's, and I'm a freshman in high school. Suddenly, yellow shag carpet springs up under my feet.  My bed
sits in one corner with a turntable on the floor.  Posters of Shaun Cassidy watch as I dance across the room, cause let's face it, who
couldn't dance to that song.  My brother, a sophomore in college, bought me the album and it was love at first listen. 

We all have music that whisks us away to other times or places and so it is for writers.  Each story has its own soundtrack.  Some worlds are melancholy while others are whimsical.  When creating the world for my book, The Last Stored, I turned on Pandora and found my groove.  So I thought, it would be fun to share the music I used to help get me in that special creative place.  These are in no order whatsoever...


  • Life, by Avett Brothers
  • Look What You've Done, by Jet
  • Morningbird, by Forest Sun
  • The One That Got Away, by The Civil Wars
  • I do What I Can, by Loney Dear
  • Human of The Year, by Regina Spektor
  • Down, by Jason Walker
  • Gollum's Song, by Howard Shore
  • Run Daddy Run, by Miranda Lambert
  • All The Rowboats, by Regina Spektor
  • Trouble Is A Friend, by Lenka
  • Head Full Of Doubt, by The Avett Brothers
  • Float On, by Modest Mouse
  • New Slang, by The Shins
  • You Picked Me, by A Fine Frenzy
  • Broken, by Lauren Hoffman
  • Music For A Found Harmonium, by Penguin Cafe Orchestra
  • Untitled 3, by Sigur Ros
  • Bright, by Stafraenn Hakon
  • Woods Part Of When, by Noe Venable
  • Disappear, by The Gabe Dixon Band
Currently I'm writing a speculative fiction novel, and surprisingly, I find that the book suits the B-52s and The Talking Heads, even though it is darker than The Last Stored.  Funny, I didn't plan for that to happen and it doesn't sound like it would fit but it does for me.  

What music makes you more creative? Any strange tune which doesn't seem to fit, but it works for you?  I'd love to hear!    

You can find The Last Stored here:


Connect with me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment