Monday, February 16, 2015

Finding my groove for my work in progress...

For the past week I've been attempting to find the perfect music for my work in progress.  It's been tricky. 

The story is set in a Division known as Wanda. A dusty dying community as west as one might travel before they wander into Calamity. I've been working on this story for a year and it is close to being finished and out with my Critique Partners as we speak.  Fingers crossed that it might be done by the end of the month or at the latest spring. 

Short and sweet blurb - A boy is caught in the fray as a dying town holds a celebration for their hanging tree.  

We all know that music can transport us to a memory, or a new land. With just a single verse our brain awakens.  In this article, Gregory Ciotti talks about How Music Affects Your Productivity! Seems listening to new types of music stretches our brains, causing us to create.  Even the Psalmist talks about singing to the Lord a new song. Psalms 96:1  Sing to the Lord a new songsing to the Lord, all the earth. 

But trying to find the perfect song has been difficult.  I'm looking for western, not country (not going to apologize, I've never been a fan), something that sounds sad, scary, and a tad bit magical.  Not spaghetti western music, and not musical westerns.  I guess the best song I could describe would be the music from the mini-series The Stand by Snuffy Walden.  Found it right, but I use Pandora because I simply sit for hours at a time. Yeah, I might be difficult, and Snuffy isn't on Pandora. Of course there’s not a creepy, lonely, tad bit enchanting channel.  

Yesterday after church, I found myself with a few hours of free time, so I dug my heels in to create the perfect Pandora channel.  I looked at steampunk music. Who knew there's a whole genre but there is. Steam Powered Giraffe came up, and while they’re pretty cool, they didn't fit the bill. I scoured the interwebs until I found this group, Voice of The Seven Woods.  Finally, this group checked all my boxes! If anyone has any suggestions for music additions I’ll be sure to listen.  I love new music!

Now to finish my creepy, sad and a tad bit magical work-in-progress! 

No comments:

Post a Comment