Come on we are all busy, let's face it, we over schedule and then we like to use our being busy as an excuse to do things that are really important. I know I have been guilty of just such a thing. Seriously, even me.
I remember a friend and I were talking about how we are so busy and this other woman, with seven kids mind you, seemed to be able to do so much. I mean, how on earth could she possibly fit it all in? We finally figured out how she did it. ---- She didn't have a TV. Well, duh I could conquer the world if I didn't have a TV.
We both decided that we were not going that far. No Way. I mean TV is important for my brain function, right. So we scrapped that idea and I decided I would come up with a different plan. Then it hit me. A little word, simple really and all my problems were solved. You know what that word is already. NO.
The world did not come to an end, my kids lives went on. The sun shone brightly in my life. Angels sang. Okay, not all that but it did improve.
But I still need to carve out time for my writing so I set to work. Below is what I did. It might not work for you, but for me it is golden.
- Moved my office into my closet, (yeah, I have a big walk-in closet, and while I don't have any windows) I am off the beaten path, I can't hear hardly anything, not even my kids yelling for me to find something.
- Turn off social media when you are working. (Like Kryptonite twitter zaps my time) Twitter and Facebook are great ways to stay in touch, just turn them off when you are writing.
- Don't answer your phone, let your voice mail get it. Seriously, does anyone call any more, just text me. Please!
- Don't answer your door, of course, if they are carrying a big check then fine answer it.
- Set up a writing schedule, then I stick to it. (It doesn't always happen but there is at least a plan)
- Lastly ---- Write. Just let it flow, let it flow. Oh wait, that's a Disney song.
What works for you? Do you have any tips then please share!