Sunday, January 26, 2014

You Wrote That?

So let's begin my journey.  In high school, lets say 1984, I wrote a short story about a pilot whose plane was about to crash.  I remember it clearly, a fresh piece of notebook paper, back then we used notebook paper, and a no. two pencil.  The story is now lost to me with the marching of time, but I remember  I was so excited to turn it in because I just knew it was good.  A week later I get my paper back with an A across the top, great, but something else was scribbled across the top of my page that kind of hurt.

"You wrote that?"- 

I wasn't the best of students back then, I had other things on my mind, like boys, music, and making sure my face wasn't covered in pimples. But from her note, and what I knew of this teacher, she just assumed I didn't write it, that I had copied it from some book. I hadn't.

Yeah, yeah, you say so what. Well add to that, that my mom thought I wasn't the brightest bulb in the room and that my brother 'the golden child' I like to call him, was a super genius, then there was little ol' me, sitting in a corner with drool coming down my chin.  Those words from my English teacher just drove the nail in deeper, I shouldn't write...

Now I am older, and those words from that teacher probably meant something else. So a few years ago, with the urging of my husband, I started a story.  I started, then life happened and I put it away, but a year ago, I found it, and finished it in six months.  It has been the greatest, joyous, scariest thing I think I have ever done. I feel reborn that these stores that I have wrapped up in my head can seep out in some form.

I hope you will join me as I write and maybe even sometimes blabber on about my life, family, and writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment